If you have a tight budget to work with during relocation, it is likely because you need to spend a lot on your new home. Buying new furniture and other belongings is certainly not cheap, especially if you are aiming for the best quality.
With that in mind, it is a good idea to consider what ways you can save when you move. There are some traps, which you can fall in, all of which will lead to you paying more than you should. Furthermore, with careful planning and consideration, you can greatly reduce the cost of moving and actually save money during the process. You don’t have to pay a lot when it comes to moving if you follow some of these tips:
- Compare free estimates - normally, you should be able to contact several reliable moving companies. Ask each of them for a free estimate to get a general idea on how much their service is going to cost you. Companies are willing to provide free quotes and estimates, but most of them are not 100% accurate. To know the exact price, you must ask for an on-site visit by a company representative. Be careful if the final price of a company is considerably low. Sometimes the lowest price comes with poor service, or one that is lacking additional services, paying for which will cost you a lot.
- See if there are any discounts available - often times if you book a company’s service in advance, you will pay less. Furthermore, depending on the volume of items you want to move, you might get a discount. See what you can take advantage of and compare the price then, for discounts can often determine the final cost of relocation.
- Don’t move all of your belongings - the more you want the company to move for you, the more you are going to pay. This is why you should consider letting go of some of your stuff and selling them. It is a perfect way to ensure you pay less during your removal and actually make some money on top of that. Decide what part of your belongings will be of no further use to you and put it up for sale on an online auction or garage sale.
- Choose off-season move date - often movers will be willing to offer considerable discounts and be more available if you hire their service during an off-peak season. Planning a move during the time when moving companies are not as busy will allow you more freedom as you will be able to schedule without stress. Having more time to choose a company will lead to less strain on your budget.
- Acquire packing supplies for free - moving boxes and any other supplies will actually not come in cheap. There is an option that may allow you to get packing supplies for free. It involves supermarkets, bookstores, office supply stores and such, all of which use boxes and then have to recycle them. You can ask around such places to see if they have boxes that they can give to you instead. That way you will have packing supplies to use in your relocation without paying anything for them.
You can execute a cheaper move by following these tips. Make sure to take them all into consideration.