I'm highlighting 5 ways that most people (including myself in the past) throw their hard earned money away. Some money wasters can add up if it continues for a period of time.
By NOT doing these very un-frugal things, one can pocket some extra money instead of throwing it all out the window!
- BANK FEES: Try to avoid (at all cost) getting cash from out-of-network ATMs, so you don't have to pay the silly fees. Other ways your bank can whack you with unnecessary fees are with overdraft fees, debit card usage fees, etc... A good rule of thumb is knowing what your particular banks fee policies are and check your bank account online regularly.
- CREDIT CARD INTERESTS: Only use a credit card when you are certain you can pay off the balance every month. If you know you can't pay it off, then don't use credit cards at all. The interest fees on most credit cards are outrageously high!
- PARKING COST: When possible and available, park your car for free even it means parking a little further away from where you need to be. Look for street parking or free parking lots. But if you have to pay for metered parking, make sure you leave or move your car before your time runs out to avoid a costly parking ticket.
- RETURNS: If you bought something you either don't really need or doesn't fit or can't use - return it. Make sure to keep all receipts so you can get your money back or credit back to your card. If you can't return the item(s) or 30-day policy is up, the store might be able to give you store credit or an exchange for something you can actually use.
- CABLE TV: I know some (ok most) people can't live without their shows, but most of the TV shows and movies I like I can watch online. I cut the (cable) cord almost 5 years ago and I don't miss it all.